Photograph of drawing. Coeur de Alene Mission on the Ignatus River as it appeared in 1853. The mission was in charge of Pere Gazzole and Pere Ravalli who were cultivating about 100 acres, with the help of the Indians. The Indians were paid in tickets which were exchangable for provisions. Many of the Indians lived near the mission, some in log houses but mostly in lodges.