These are two hammers from the locks of tim’úuni (rifles). Though it is unknown which specific company produced these tim’úuni (rifle) hammers, it is thought they were produced around the mid-1800s. Evidence suggests these items were found and picked up near the southern shore of wal'áwa (Wallowa Lake, Oregon) in 1921. It is believed that this site was a previous Nimíipuu (Nez Perce) camping ground, so it is very possible these hammers and the associated tim’úuni (rifles) belonged to Nimíipuu (Nez Perce) peoples. One can see the rust and wear on these tim’úuni (rifle) hammers due to their exposure to the weather elements. Evidence indicates these tim’úuni (rifle) hammers were given to L. V. McWhorter in 1926.
These two tim’úuni (rifle) hammers are cataloged individually as 1986.2.43 and 1986.2.44. The items above the tim’úuni (rifle) hammers in this photograph include a revolver barrel and chamber from a Colt 1851 Navy Revolver (1986.2.62), piyopyóotálikt' (Chief Peo Peo Tholekt's) copper tweezers (1986.2.73), and a brass bullet mold (1986.2.56). To the left of the tim’úuni (rifle) hammers is an iron horseshoe (1986.2.60).