Wilfred and Bessie Scott - Battle at Big Hole

Wilfred Scott describes a scene of events from the Battle of Big Hole during the Nez Perce Wars, and relates it to his wife Bessie's ancestry.

The following text is a transcription of this video.
"This one particular family, they heard the shots, then they realized what was going on. The soldiers are here. And the woman told her husband, 'Take your rifle, your shells and go join the braves, fight the soldiers. So he grabbed his rifle, his bandolier, and took off, he told her, 'You get the baby and you go down that way and hide in the willows.' And he took off, out the teepee he went. She started looking all over, looking for the baby, and she couldn't find the baby! Took all the blankets, thought maybe she was hiding. Finally she turned around, she went out the teepee door, and she saw that little girl, walking towards the soldiers, and she could see the red from the gun flashes, from the rifles. And she could hear them hitting the teepee and wizzing. She went running over to pick up her daughter -- before she got there the little girl was shot. Shot in the hip. Down she went. Her mother went over and picked her up. Turned around, and started running, and then she was shot. The mother was shot in the back and the bullet came out her breast. And she went down to the willows, took her baby with her. Just like she was, no blankets, no nothing. Just right out of bed they got. And she was in the river, that's where they had to get to hide under the bank, where the willows were leaning over the bank, she was trying to hide under there. And there were other children, and she was gathering these kids. Trying to keep them warm and quiet. And she had seen a little boy laying on the sandbar right across from them. He was laying there, and he was dead. These are the things that she experienced and witnessed. Two days after that particular battle, they drove the soldiers out and they broke camp and were heading south. And two days later that little girl died. That woman and her husband went on through the rest of the war, all the way from there to the battle at Bear Paw, both of them went into Canada. They stayed in with Sitting Bull, and later on they came back home. And years later there's a little five year old girl, and she used to play with this old lady. And this girl, she was only five years old, but how kids are, she’d jump on her bed, hide under her blankets and tease her, you know how you tease them, just playing. In 1938, that old lady passed away. She was 98 years old and that little girl was five years old. And that little five year old girl was her, my wife. That old lady that was wounded and lost a little girl was her great-grandmother."